912-638-4050

Arthur J. Moore Methodist Museum

Hours: Monday-Saturday 10am-4p​m

Admission: free of charge

Located at 100 Arthur J. Moore Drive 

Saint Simons Island, GA, 31522 

Next to Lovely Lane Chapel at 

Epworth by the Sea

Phone number: 912-638-4050

Ministry of Memory

History of the South Georgia Conference Book

Attention church historians:

     The Archives and History Committee is publishing a new Conference History Book. Each active church in the Conference will have their history featured in the updated edition. However, with over 600 active churches in the Conference, this is more than we can handle on our own. That’s where you come in.

     We are asking each church to verify and update the information that we have in the Archives. Some of these church histories have not been updated since the 1984 History book was published.

     All of the church histories are on the conference website and can be found at www.sgaumc.org/churchhistory. Please read your church’s history and send any new information to us at the Moore Methodist Museum, where the Archives for the South Georgia Conference are housed.


Email: [email protected]

Phone: (912) 638-4050

Fax: (912) 638-9050

Address: 100 Arthur J Moore Drive/P O Box 24081 

St. Simons Island, GA 31522


An example of the type of information we are looking for can be found below. 


Thank you for all that you do to keep the Ministry of Memory alive in the South Georgia Conference!


-Museum Staff

Example

Friendship UMC- Donalsonville

In 1850 Friendship Methodist Church and cemetery were founded on land given by James Jackson Harris. The church, a small log structure, was built by him and Mr. Stephen Pitts. James C. Stafford served as a local pastor.


In 1870 a larger log church was built on the same site to accommodate the growing membership. In 1891 Friendship moved to its current site in Donalsonville on the land given by John E. Donalson and with the help of the mission board a frame building was erected.

In 1922 Rev. Albert Trulock came to Friendship as pastor and began a drive for a new church building. In 1923 the cornerstone was laid by Mollie Harris King, daughter of James Jackson Harris.


Under the leadership of L.C. Harvard in 1948, Friendship fostered the establishment of Trinity Church and Reynolds Chapel in Seminole County. With the donation of a Hammond organ by Mr. and Mrs. Wurst in the same year, Mrs. Y.L. Roberts and Marion Roberts started developing the choir. Joanne P. Drake organized the choir into the fine chancel choir it is today.

A new parsonage was built and dedicated in 1950 under the pastorate of L. E. Pierce and a granite boulder was put in Friendship cemetery marking the place of the old log church in honor of the centennial.


During the pastorate of Henry Erwin, a two story educational building was constructed in 1961. In 1971 the sanctuary was renovated and the Claude Rickman Chapel was dedicated. In 2001 the sanctuary underwent major renovations including an enlarged choir and handicap accommodations. The Alday property was also purchased and later renovated to house youth directors. Kirk Loyless came to Friendship in June of 2002 and under his leadership the Wurst property was purchased and utilized as church staff offices, youth class rooms, and a game room.


In 1976 Friendship was Thomasville District Church of the Year under the pastorate of George Herndon and again in 1985 under the pastorate of Albert Joiner. Several members of Friendship have entered into ministry including Buford Fulford in 1952, Graton Helms in 1965, Marshall Singletary and Ted Marsh in 1982, and John Pierce Drake 1995.


Over the past ten years our church has sponsored a pumpkin patch, established a food bank, started a back pack program to feed elementary school children during the weekends, and opened a second-hand store which funds the food bank and back pack program. We continue to have a healthy church with Sunday morning classes and worship and Wednesday evening Bible classes and choir practices.